Here is the table dump feature I want my site’s apps to have:
- Dump changed tables into files on the server’s file system right after changes are made.
- Distribute dump files into the directory in such a way that the time of the dump will be known from the URI.
- Distribute dump files in such a way that no one directory grows too large.
- File dump time will be the
UTC+0 UNIX Time(same value as a
- Make sure I’ll have enough information to accurately recreate the database at any point in time.
- Have an app or memorandum instructing me on how to recreate the database.
- Email a copy of the dump file to me every time one is created.
What if I end up using PHP Fog or similar cloud hosting?
- Each app already has master and slave databases.
- I still want a CVS style backup of the database tables.
- Do what I said I’ll do above.
- Maintain these table files as part of the Git repository.
Caution: Let’s say I do some development at my workstation. And then I merge that repository with production. Maybe the files for the database tables will get erased. I’ll need to make sure that doesn’t happen.